Unplanned Settlements Project (USP)
The Land policy of 1995 the Land act no. 4 of 1999 Human Settlements policy provide for Regularization of unplanned settlements. Regularization should be participatory undertaking to allow the residents of the respective areas to decide on what should be done and level of services should be provided. Regularization schemes are the jurisdiction of the local authorities.
The following is the procedure for preparations of regularization scheme.
- Six months notice the residents of the selected area explaining the intention of the Government to prepare a regularization scheme.
- Formation of planning teams (this constitutes of the residents of the area and CBOs )
- Sensitization meetings to get peoples contributions and will to continue with the plan.
- Identify individual parcels and areas for various services and infrastructure.
- Designing and preparation of Town planning drawings according to the wishes of the residents and the professional in puts.
- Presentation of the Town Planning Drawings to the respective Urban Authority for approval.
- Presentation of the Town Planning Drawings to the Minister for approval.
- After the Plans are approved by the Minister (Director of Human Settlements Development normal approves on behalf of the Minister) they are sent back to the Local authority for implementation.
Download project documents and reports below: